[SystemSafety] Chicago controller halts Delta jet's near-miss....

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Tue Jun 30 12:09:29 CEST 2015

At this point I thought it might be interesting to get the pilot's point of
view so I contacted a friend of a friend, Bill McCarthy. Bill was a check
pilot for Cathay Pacific. Here are his comments:

---------Start of Bill McCarthy's comments -----------------
I tend to agree with you on a theoretical level. A response by the issuer
that they understand the command has been correctly received by the receiver
seems like a fail safe system.
On practical level, the current international ATC protocols should be
enough, but good luck getting the US to change their can-do and casual
attitude to ATC coms.

There are so many aspects of the ATC radio standards in the US that it
amazing that this sort of thing does not occur more frequently.
1. Aircraft cleared on RWY 04L  with both SW and probably DL to be cleared
to take-off prior to that event.
2. Not getting a positive response from SW3818 after he was cleared to T/O.
3. Calls signs should be clearly stated. DL one three two eight, not
thirteen twenty-eight.
(I would expect the T/O clearance to be; SW three eight two eight, aircraft
3 mile final for 04L, wind 060/9, clear take-off RW 31 centre, no delay,
after T/O turn left 250) Note the order in which the information is given, a
logical sequence. The controller was giving information required after
take-off before the pilots knew they were cleared.
4. The cross transmissions were an obvious problem and should have been
immediately resolved.

 A lot of US airports are 1950's design, are grossly to small for the amount
of traffic they carry. Traffic separation standards are well below
international standards, both laterally and in distance. Taxiways and
runways are not designed for wide body A/C. The list goes on. Then you can
add to the mix international carriers with crews who have very limited
english language (and flying) skills. Incidentally ICAO had required a
minimum English skill level for all International airline crews but they are
allowed to self assess!!!