[SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Tue Mar 3 11:03:32 CET 2015

Hi Peter

Tis I

The fault with the logic in your blog is that the design of your system
fails to meet the specification; this I hope is obvious. The software is
therefore as you suggest 100% reliable. Or not if it hits the one fault.

The term reliability in systems has been hijacked to mean something else in
software and is reinterpreted very badly to say that it therefore has a
reliability of one in a thousand ( or whatever). Clearly if the software
never encounters 20 it never gives an incorrect answer.

Reliability models for software is still not recognised in DO-178C and this
means it has not been recognised for over 25 years.

--
Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd

*77 Barnards Green Road*