[SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Michael J. Pont M.Pont at SafeTTy.net
Wed Mar 4 08:19:27 CET 2015

Matthew,

Fair point (and interesting example).

Michael.

From: Matthew Squair [mailto:mattsquair at gmail.com]
Sent: 04 March 2015 07:14
To: M.Pont at safetty.net
Cc: systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Michael,

Nope, it was a software fault. The fault was introduced by a modification to improve capability, the effect was identified from field feedback, advise to operators was issued (albeit not very helpful) and a fix was dispatched but didn't get there until the day after the failure.

The tech background is that the registers were 24 bit bounding the accuracy of converting the integer time register to floating point and thereby giving you a propagation error. Normally this doesn't matter because you are working with t_next relative to t_now so there's negligible error.

The modification called a new algorithm to provide greater range gate accuracy, but when it was patched in the coder's unfortunately missed one instance. So we have a situation where the old value subtracted from the new value and there's now an error which is proportional to both track velocity and system up time. Run the situation for long enough say 16-20 hours and the values diverge sufficiently to cause a system failure (e.g. track loss).

There's a GAO report GAO/IMTEC-92-26 on the incident, there's also a Defence Science Board task force 2005 report on Patriot performance 20301-3140.