[SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:01:24 CET 2015

I kind of disagree. In the case of wing fatigue that you gave earlier would
you also say that for the wing example 'time' was an input?

I don't think time per se is an input in either the software or wing
example. In both it's actually use cycles that are pertinent,and there's
only an arbitrary relation with time. We can figure out how many cycles per
hour or flight you like but it's still cycles and the relation is
arbitrary.

In both cases run through the requisite number of cycles over some period
of time and bad things will suddenly happen. To an external observer both
exhibit a catastrophic wear out failure modes at the system boundary, and
we can use Laprie's taxonomy to describe both cases.

Email: MattSquair at gmail.com
Website: www.criticaluncertainties.com <http://criticaluncertainties.com/>