[SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Ross - Sigma ross_hannan at sigma-aerospace.com
Wed Mar 4 15:07:42 CET 2015

>From an aeronautical software perspective it is the contribution of software
to aircraft level Failure Conditions that is considered. No attempt is made
to quantify that contribution numerically. The terminology used in the
software domain (RTCA/DO-178BC (EUROCAE ED-12C) and RTCA/DO-278A (EUROCAE
ED-109A) is consistent with that contained in the appropriate regulations
(albeit EASA have modified a couple of the definitions very slightly in
their Certification Memos for Software and Complex Electronic Hardware).

Figure 2-2 in each of the above documents provides a visual representation
of how a latent software Error in the data or executable code could
potentially manifest itself (visible or not) as a Fault at the software
boundary. That Fault could potentially manifest itself (visible or not) as a
Failure at the system boundary. And that Failure could potentially
contribution to a Failure Condition at an aircraft or equipment level.

The definitions of these terms are:

Error - With respect to software, a mistake in requirements, design, or
code.

Fault - A manifestation of an error in software. A fault, if it occurs, may
cause a failure.

Failure - The inability of a system or system component to perform a
required function
within specified limits. A failure may be produced when a fault is
encountered.

Failure condition - The effect on the aircraft and its occupants both direct
and
consequential caused or contributed to by one or more failures, considering
relevant
adverse operational and environmental conditions. A failure condition is
classified
according to the severity of its effect as defined in advisory material
issued by the
certification authority.

or

Failure condition - The effect on a CNS/ATM system or equipment, both direct
and
consequential, caused or contributed to by one or more failures which may be
attributed to, for example, a latent software error in the executable code
or data
considering relevant adverse operational and environmental conditions.

I don't see any need to change or rewrite any of the aeronautical software
standards.

Ross Hannan