[SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Ross - Sigma ross_hannan at sigma-aerospace.com
Wed Mar 4 15:36:05 CET 2015

Peter

>I didn't say "standards", I said certification requirements. Those are,
>at least in the US, Federal Regulations, not standards. They set numerical
>requirements on rate of occurrence of dangerous failures; those are given
>qualitatively but they are assigned quantitative equivalents elsewhere
>(oddly, in the acceptable means of compliance).

I see what you mean Peter. I remain very much in the same camp as Nick with
this and cannot see any way to express numerically the contribution of
software errors to a Failure Condition.

In terms of Taxonomy there remains an issue within the aeronautic domains.
There are still many that use error, fault and failure interchangeably.

Ross