[SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Wed Mar 4 22:58:20 CET 2015

Hi Martyn,

I can't really answer that as the project unfortunately died before we got
that far.
However the initial phases of addressing the problem were investigated using
FTA which suggested all the critical items had to be replicated to have a
realistic chance of actually meeting the requirement; as opposed to hand
waving.

The interesting bits e.g.
- using non-aerospace components (e.g. automotive alternators).
- maintaining forward compatibility i.e. if a processor is available for 5
years how do you keep a system in production without stocking up on parts
- Etc.

Weren't really addressed.

However from a reliability point of view the digital electronics were almost
the least of the problems. Analog electronics is more problematic and some
of the mechanical components were "interesting" as well.