[SystemSafety] Degraded software performance [diverged from Fault, Failure and Reliability Again]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 5 11:24:20 CET 2015

Nick,

I do think we need to be clear about the situation with IEC 61508 Part 7 Annex D.

On 2015-03-05 10:41 , Nick Tudor wrote:
> .. There is a plan to
> update a standard IEC61508 with material about how one might use software reliability in safety
> systems.

There is a plan to update a 17-year-old section, Part 7 Annex D, about statistical evaluation of
software in IEC 61508.

> Standards are supposed to represent the consensus of the community and it has been
> reported by others on this list that many standards do not recognise this approach.

The new version of IEC 61508 will represent the consensus of the Maintenance Team charged with
updating it, and the vote of approval from participating national committees.

If we don't fix Annex D in the forthcoming maintenance cycle, it will stay the same as it is now; I
doubt very much if it will be deleted.

I'm just one person. I would imagine there are 25-30 active members of the maintenance team, some of
whom are on this list.