[SystemSafety] Standards and Reform [was: degraded software performance...]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Mar 6 09:35:27 CET 2015

Les Chambers suggests that procedures should only make it into standards if they have been
empirically verified. Good idea, one might think.

So let's take risk analysis and risk assessment out of all safety standards, because that process
has never been shown to result in a system less prone to dangerous failures. In fact I can't think
of one instance in which a system was developed with, respectively without, risk analysis and the
results compared.

Let's also take these "extremely improbable"/10^(-9) criteria out of the aerospace certification
criteria and other standards for PE kit, because as Littlewood and Strigini showed 23 years ago you
can't accumulate evidence that these criteria are ever fulfilled.

And let's take code inspection out of development procedures, because there is mostly no evidence
that the semantics of the source code statements, which is what is used in inspections, are
fulfilled by the installed kit.

And let's take out all this talk about whether software degradation is really hardware or software.
And whether "software reliability" is a meaningful phrase. And whether "software failure" is a
meaningful phrase. The phenomena exist, but the claimed distinctions can't be decided empirically,
only conceptually.

But we can, thankfully, leave the interpretation of software execution as a Bernoulli process in,
because there is in fact quite a lot of evidence that this works, albeit at lower values of TTNF
than what are typically needed for Part 25.1309(b), respectively higher SIL levels.

Be careful what you wish for! As observers have known for a very long time, observations are
theory-laden. Your take on what observations mean depends decisively on your existing conceptual
baggage.

On the reform of standards processes, I'm all for it. See my White Paper
http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/WhitePapers/RVSsfssPrinciples.pdf So is John Knight
http://scsc.org.uk/paper_126/protect_reg_01-Knight.pdf?pap=933 And so is Martyn Thomas. Indeed,
we've been discussing this for years. One of my themes is lack of adequate peer review in the
standardisation process.

Small steps first. My papers are just two of four papers on statistical evaluation recently
presented to the German safe-software committee. The other two are written by academics and in my
view (not just in my view) contain significant mistakes. I have encouraged the authors to publish
their writings, or at least to open them to broader peer review by people competent in the subject
matter, so far without effect.

The broader matter getting in the way is the issue of peer review and publishing versus the
confidentiality presumption in standards work. The confidentiality presumption is there to protect
intellectual property. It is necessary because market rivals sit in the same room. However, most if
not all methods standards such as IEC 61508 involve no intellectual property issues whatever. Les is
quite right that many of them are put together by small cliques. I would add ..... sometimes without
the necessary expertise in the subject matter, see below.

Motivated people could get involved in reform. It's OK to chatter with me at the back of an
Safety-Critical Systems Symposium room while breaking wind. It's OK to natter on a mailing list. But
this has negligible effect. Consider, as I did and have done, forming an interest group with a view
to promoting certain selected reforms, to propose that, and to keep on about it - for decades if
necessary - until the reforms are taken on board in some form. That's a level of commitment which
almost all engineers decline. Indeed, people such as Bertrand have been pointing out for a long time
that one can influence standards processes in at least one straightforward way - turn up for
standards committee meetings and argue for your view!

For a year and a half, I was on an IEC committee devising a new standard for root cause analysis. I
invited half a dozen people to advise, all of them recognised inventors of or distinguished
proponents of particular methods for root cause analysis.

On the committee there was no one besides myself with experience of using RCA for accident analysis.
Those on the committee with RCA experience - and there were committee members without - were
quality-control people. Fishbone diagrams and "Five Why's." Indeed, only one person besides myself
knew anything about accident analysis methods.

I asked my advisors for a two-page write-up on their respective methods according to a specific
format. I had one reply - multiple replies - from a colleague who had trouble understanding the
concept of "two". And another reply sending me swathes of tech reports. Otherwise, nothing. (I
resigned from the committee a year later because I strongly disagreed with their procedures.)

There is now an international standard IEC 62740 on Root Cause Analysis. Take a look. It could have
been so much better had most of my advisors responded with the requested two pages. That was a clear
opportunity for genuine peer review and peer contribution, and it was missed, despite my best efforts.

What I got from the process was
http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/Papers/LadkinRCAoverview20130120.pdf Those are the
write-ups on the methods which I ended up doing myself. Oh, and a complaint from IEC TC 56 to the
DKE, that I was not a "team player" (read: clique member) and to consider whether I was an
appropriate delegate.