[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it) [UNCLASSIFIED]

King, Martin (NNPPI) martin.king2 at rolls-royce.com
Fri Mar 6 14:30:35 CET 2015

This message has been marked as UNCLASSIFIED by King, Martin (NNPPI)

Many safety shutdown systems will spend a considerable proportion of their time (90%+) in one of two plant states (operational and maintenance) with parameters that are quite limited in range.  The two dominant states usually have parameter values that are quite disparate.  Most of the remainder of the time is spent transitioning between these two states.  In an ideal world the limited range of parameter values that will cause a shutdown will never occur - in practise they will normally occur extremely rarely over the life of the plant.  Is this really the input value distribution that we want to test our equipment with?

Martin King
(My opinions etc, not necessarily those of my employer or colleagues!)