[SystemSafety] FW: Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it) [UNCLASSIFIED]

Smith, Brian E. (ARC-TH) brian.e.smith at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 6 18:39:28 CET 2015

This is a most interesting discussion.  I very much appreciate the
comments; especially those from my distinguished colleague, Michael
Holloway at NASA Langley.

Next week, NASA Ames is hosting a technical workshop entitled, ³Transition
to Autonomy.²  Every morning I harvest general ideas and comments from
this discussion thread to give my little grey cells something to
contribute at this event.

The topic of how to characterize, measure, and assure the Œperformance¹ of
safety-critical software in new autonomous, automated systems is either 1.
a potential show-stopper or 2. an enabler to implementing such advanced
software in aviation - depending on one¹s perspectiveŠ

Another colleague of mine at Langley is what he terms an 'optimistic
skeptic' when it comes to automation.  He asserts that software-enabled
autonomy may be a great thing, but we are implementing it incorrectly
because just shuts the human out of the loop and expects him/her to Œpay
attention¹ But we know that humans can¹s sustain that over long periods of
time. There are many who believe that we just need better displays and
better information driven by more Œreliable¹ (or what ever term we can
agree on) software. That helps, but it¹s not the answer. Better displays
and information won¹t help in routine commercial flight. We need to look
at what we want the human to do and then provide a function allocation
between human and machine that allows and even enhances his/her ability to
do that. Instead, we have put them in a quiet, dark flight deck with a
nice engine thrum (except on the A380) and tell them to pay attention to
the outputs from the avionics software. And then we usually startle the
heck out of them and demand that they respond quickly.  Similar arguments
could be made with respect to air traffic controllers and how they
interact with ground-based Performance Based Navigation systems.

Let¹s not forget that today¹s remarkable record in flight safety has been
achieved by the triad of software, hardware, and Œliveware¹ (people) - to
borrow a term from the ICAO SCHELL model.  Much of the discussion on this
forum has centered on the SW/HW dichotomy.  These two elements facilitate
the total system capabilities we want and perhaps are not goals to be
pursued in and of themselves.  They need to be set in context.

DOT/FAA/AR-10/27 is a 2010 document entitled, "Flight Crew Intervention
Credit in System Safety Assessments: Evaluation by Manufacturers and
Definition of Application Areas.²  The research effort described in that
reference is motivated by the following statement:

"According to current regulations for type certification of large
commercial aircraft, certification credit may be taken for correct and
appropriate action for both quantitative and qualitative assessments
provided that some general criteria are fulfilled. According to the same
regulations, quantitative assessments of the probabilities of flight crew
errors are not considered feasible. As a consequence, the system designer
is allowed to take 100% credit for correct flight crew action in response
to a failure. Previous research indicates that this leads to an
overestimation of flight crew performance."

So assessing human Œreliability¹ may be as difficult and as critical in
improving system-wide safety as assessing software Œreliability.¹  Each
has its own thorny challenges in how we define terms and measure
performance.

I very much look forward to following this thread in the days ahead...

Brian E. Smith

Special Assistant for Aeronautics
Human Systems Integration Division
Bldg N262, Room 120; Mail Stop 262-11
NASA Ames Research Center
P.O. Box 1000
Moffett Field, CA 94035

(v) 650.604.6669, (c) 650.279-1068, (f) 650.604.3323

Never let an airplane or a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't
go five seconds earlier.