[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it)

Yiannis I Papadopoulos Y.I.Papadopoulos at hull.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 13:14:40 CET 2015

Hi David! Thanks for the amusing post :)

"I hate to destroy your comfortable illusion, but a long time ago
(in a galaxy quite close to where you live) the ERNIE machine that
decided who won the weekly and monthly premium bond draw in the UK
used the random noise in a particular kind of diode as the source for
the random numbers. I believe the noise is a quantum effect."

Does this quantum effect show that there is "randomness" in the world? If quantum phenomena caused real randomness then the world would be fairly unpredictable. But still, the laws of physics are pretty deterministic and the macro-world is pretty predictable.

On a more mundane level, unfortunately I have not seen yet much "real randomness" when I program, analyse, test and verify code. For example I have never seen an "if" mutating into a "for" or a stamement that is either an "if" or a "for"  depending on the observer :). Admittedly it would have been fun, but never happened nevertheless.

In any case, if you  really believe that quantum mechanics introduces real randomness in the macrocosm, and has impact on this discussion, then I am really looking forward to reading your paper about how to incorporate quantum mechanics in the assessment and verification of systems and software (happy to coauthor too :)

Thanks and have a good day! :)

Yiannis