[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it)

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Tue Mar 10 13:49:11 CET 2015

On 3/10/15 7:44 AM, Littlewood, Bev wrote:
> … But I don’t think that the man in the street, contemplating his
> broken-down car (in the rain - let’s pile on the pathos!), would be
> comforted to be told it was not unreliable, it just had /design/ faults.
I totally disagree.  I think the man or woman on the street would
understand the difference, and be far more annoyed at the latter than
the former.
> And, of course, your interpretation seems to rule out the contribution
> of human fallibility (e.g. pilots) to the reliability and/or safety of
> systems. This seems socially unacceptable, at least to me.
No it doesn't. I am only saying that I think it is important to restrict
the use of the term reliability (or to be more precise, the use of
probabilities), not the range of factors that are considered when
assessing safety.

--
/*cMh*/

*C. Michael Holloway*

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.