[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it) [UNCLASSIFIED]

King, Martin (NNPPI) martin.king2 at rolls-royce.com
Tue Mar 10 16:54:44 CET 2015

This message has been marked as UNCLASSIFIED by King, Martin (NNPPI)

David

Two things:

1. Your dose-rate meter 'failure' was in fact a failure of specification - the input signal is an almost truly random pulse train described correctly by Poissonian statistics.  There is a finite and non-zero probability of seeing any given interval between the input pulses.

2.  In some environments (including space and aero) bit flipping in operation is not uncommon due to interactions with intersecting particles.

(My opinions, not necessarily those of my employer)

Martin