[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it)

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Tue Mar 10 17:31:51 CET 2015

I suspect that you may be wrong.

Going to the bookshelf I found my copy of, Practical Reliability Engineering
(4th Ed) 2002. One of the standard texts on reliability engineering (and
quite a good read for a text book).

In chapter 1 there is a section "Why do engineering items fail?" In summary;

1. The design may be inherently incapable
2. The item may be overstressed in some way.
3. Failures might be caused by variation
4. Failures can be caused by wearout.
5. Failures can be caused by other time dependant mechanisms.
6. Failures can be caused by sneaks.
7. Failures can be caused by errors.
8. There are many other potential caused of errors!

Number 7 further states that "Failures can be caused by errors, such as
incorrect specifications, designs or software coding, by faulty assembly or
test, by inadequate maintenance, or by incorrect use. The actual failure
mechanisms that result might include most of the list above".

Further Chapter 10 is titled "Software Reliability".
The chapter skims several models for software failure, namely...
1. Poisson model
2. Musa model
3. Jelinski-Moranda and Schick-Wolverton models
4. Littlewood models.

The first edition came out in 1981 and a fifth edition is out (2012) The
blurb on Amazon describes it as... "the essential reliability textbook" so I
suspect it may have some authority.

Just saying ;-)