[SystemSafety] Stupid Software Errors [was: Overflow......]

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Tue May 5 00:28:16 CEST 2015

There's a lot of wishful thinking going on here. Various levels of
certification are great ideas but their implementation has always been
patchy and probably always will be.

If you are a concerned person (and there are many of us, looking down the
barrel of retirement) all I can suggest is that you put your money on self
interest, because it's the only horse that's trying.

It turns out that you can't sustain a business that makes products that kill
people (commercial self-interest). So it's up to the people that manage
these companies, from board level down to the team leaders that manage these
cool, groovy, agile twentysomethings. I've never met one of these kids who
didn't want to do a good job and be recognised as a professional by his or
her peers (personal self-interest). It is up to management to define what
professionalism means in each individual workplace. Simple measures like
getting them in a room once a week and having a discussion about ugly,
unsafe code and general violence against software products, followed by
patterns for safe coding practice. This kind of activity used to be
facilitated by the software quality manager who unfortunately is becoming an
endangered species.

On the plus side I believe that there are two things that must happen, are
currently slowly happening and ultimately will happen because the commercial
enterprises that build and sell software will not be able to function
without them now and in the future:

1. Generation of code from models

2. Model validators

So returning to the self-interest theme, if you manage a team of developers,
get out of your chair and go down and have a look at them, ask yourself if
you really know what's going on inside their heads. If they are fresh out of
university it's probably not what you want. So do something about it for
your own sake and their's. Do something useful before you kick it into
touch, leave a legacy. You may rate a memorial.

On the subject of pledges, I add:

I pledge that I will occupy the jump seat on the first flight.

I actually volunteered to do this on an F 111 missile program once. The
program manager dismissed my enthusiasm as an irrelevance. A few years later
I met a guy on a bus. He just happened to be an F 111 airframe engineer. It
turned out that he routinely flew in the navigators seat. He told me
management made much of this measure as a safety motivator. Huh?

I continue to shake my head over these rear echelon types who think (with a
giggle) that software will come together on the day. I've been hoping they'd
die off and be replaced by new enlightened ones. I have a horrible feeling
that this is not happening ...