[SystemSafety] Wheel detachment from a moving car / problem was solved many years ago, not widely adopted

Heath Raftery heath.raftery at restech.net.au
Wed May 27 01:48:07 CEST 2015

On 27/05/2015 1:07 AM, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> This is strange; I talked to a number of people, and nobody knows
> anyone, or knows anyone who heard of anyone who has ever lost a wheel
> while driving. At least in Germany. I can't recall a single case being
> reported in the newspapers. Maybe shop procedures are better over here.

Interesting. Earlier I claimed that you'd be unlikely to find anyone
that didn't know of some incident. Let me qualify that as my own
experience, here in Australia, and only based on a handful of
conversations whenever the topic comes up. It's possible that due to my
small circle of influence that all my peers are recalling the same
incident ;-)

> I heard of the Chrysler way (maybe some German manufacturers also did
> it?), but it just didn't seem to be worth the hassle because if
> tightened properly, wheel nuts just didn't fail.

I find it very hard to believe the assertion that this technique ever
solved the problem, or that it hasn't been supplanted with better
techniques. It was pre-1960 technology and I believe that the taper seat
made that technique redundant. Note that the taper seat will only keep
tight nuts tight, not prevent loose nuts from vibrating loose. It's very
hard to imagine the direction of the thread has any influence on the
behaviour lug nut, but I eagerly await to be shown otherwise.

Heath