[SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Fri May 29 08:13:50 CEST 2015

An example of prospect theory?

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 29 May 2015, at 7:43 am, Heath Raftery <heath.raftery at restech.net.au>
wrote:

On 28/05/2015 11:50 PM, Chris Hills wrote:

Static analysis isn't free. Testing isn't free.

Who determines the need for  or business case for static analysis and test?

[CAH] normally (every report I have seen) static analysis saves a lot of

time and money.

The same is true of structured testing.

Funnily enough, the only experience I've had recommending static analysis
is as the programmer to the manager. This is indeed the argument I use. A
strange thing happens in business though (and perhaps my lack of
comprehension explains why I'm the programmer and not the manager ;-) ) -
capital costs and investment are worse than running costs. Buying and
applying static analysis, even if it is cheaper in the long run, is always
seen as less attractive than paying labour to deal with the consequences
later.

Heath