[SystemSafety] 737 tail strike caused by typo on a tablet

Klaus klaus_sievers at web.de
Wed Nov 18 11:13:18 CET 2015

Well, hm...
I fly 747 since 1987. Copilot, Captain...
Distractions have increased, procedure design hasn´t quite
kept up with all the things going on during the last minutes
before departure.

20 years back, the data for takeoff were calculated by hand,
using tables, and everything was ready 15, 20 minutes before
pushback.

Today, preliminary calculations are done 15, 20 minutes
before pushback, but then updated with the latest info of
+ or - 5 passengers, a bit of cargo - whatever. THEN, with
sheduled time of departure coming near, then things are
recalculated and finally transferred, manually, into the airplane
computers .

Distractions ? You better be immune to them - which no-one
can really be.

About the 737: looks like a 10 ton error to me, maybe  15 % of
takeoff-weight. May have been contributing, but I have doubts
it was the main reason for the tail-strike.

747s , which are much larger than 737, have been known to
scrape the runway, yes, but then the error was more than 25%
of takeoff weight. 2xx tons instead of 3xx tons....

Solution: try to keep a calm  working athmosphere in the cockpit
and do as much preparation as can be done : every moment counts.
And: do the checklists, the required crosschecks.

Hope that this was interesting,

Best,
Klaus Sievers