[SystemSafety] The VW Saga

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:45:40 CEST 2015

The counter argument is that it is so chaotic and messy in the VW design
department that a) normalisation of deviant behavior could thrive
undetected, and b) such a change could be inserted undetected (and
untested, specified or documented).

I wouldn't be surprised if when the lid gets lifted back we see a software
development regime as dysfunctional as Toyota's was found to be in the wake
of it's unintended acceleration problems.

There's definitely the makings of a good sociology of engineering paper in
this. :)

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655