[SystemSafety] Data on Proof effectiveness from real projects

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 23:30:53 CEST 2016

On 02/04/2016 at 7:39 PM, "Steve Tockey" <Steve.Tockey at construx.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>Of course, I agree 100%.
>
>What's your source for the 44% number? I'm very interested in that
>kind of
>data. My source says 56% of defects are in requirements and 27%
>are in
>design. Only 7% are coding. The remaining 10% are defects logged
>against
>other things: test cases, test plans, project plans, etc.
>
>The source of this data is:
>
>Gary Mogyorodi, ³What is Requirements-Based Testing?², Crosstalk,
>March,
>2003

Although the same vintage of information all the figures seem different.

My source is the UK Health & Safety Executive's 2nd Edition of the
booklet "Out of Control", published in 2003. I don't know if anyone is
tracking such figures over time but that would be an interesting plot
too.

See <http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg238.htm> for teh download.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET