[SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 22:34:54 CEST 2016

On 14/04/2016 at 8:52 PM, "Robert Schaefer" <rps at haystack.mit.edu> wrote:

>http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/car-makers-cant-drive-their-
>way-to-safety-with-self-driving-cars/
>http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1478.html
><http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1478.html>
>
>Question: Is there any sort of correlation between the study of
>safety in software in avionics and and the study of safety in
>software in automobiles?
>
>I mean, are we (historically speaking) repeating ourselves? - The
>first as tragedy, the second as farce?

Having worked with several engineering sectors (although Aerospace
has so far not been one of them) much of resolving Safety (and indeed
Security) risks in within how you conduct and evaluate the risk
assessments to appropriately assign risk categories. Having accepted
the categorisation of the risk factors, you then have the proper basis for
evaluating the solutions proffered. I think that the electronics and
software in the auto industry may not have matured to a similar capability
to the aerospace, or even Nuclear, industry.

At a talk I attended this evening (about Cyber Security) it seems like we
have a lot to despair about the parlous state of the software engineering
sector as good engineering processes seems to be lacking in many of
those graduating in recent years.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer