[SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 17:34:47 CEST 2016

Pater,

>> How about a prescribed solution to the "trolley problem" ethical dilemma
>> (http://www.philosopherstoolkit.com/the-trolley-problem.php) and strong evidence that it has been
>> implemented correctly.
>
> There are known quasi-acceptable (but not perfect) solutions, and some known unacceptable solutions,
> that have been published over the last fifty years.

This philosophical stuff is all very interesting.  But...

What I want to know (and probably most customers) is can, I choose
a car configuration option that considers my life to be more important
than everybody else's?  Or are the government going to mandate that
the software treat the life of everybody equally?

As a human driver I have the option, given enough thinking time and
fast responses, of deciding whose life is worth more.