[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 21 05:00:13 CEST 2016

Les,

On 2016-04-20 23:18 , Les Chambers wrote:
> But here's the thing, any standards body that goes down this path will soon encroach upon the territory of
> established religion whose moral codes often diverge even though their collective central core is probably the same.

That is utter nonsense.

We are talking about properties of systems and code and trying to figure out which of them are
objective and which not. Most of us in standards want to be able to define something like the
trustworthiness of a system, in this case with respect to safety or security properties, and we use
the word "integrity" for it, because one has to have a word for it and that's as good as any. No one
has yet succeeded in defining an objective property, in the way in which many people have succeeded
in defining objectively what it is for code to fulfil its specification. I guess we shall continue
to try until we succeed.

BTW, I was preoccupied with other things yesterday and failed to notice, until too late, that what I
thought had become a private chat, between four people who know each other, wasn't. Participants
here will appreciate at least in principle that my private chatter differs in style from my public
communication. Mea culpa. I hope no one was offended.