[SystemSafety] Alton Towers was HF [No Classification]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 22 18:25:25 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-22 17:44 , Barnes, Robert A (NNPPI) wrote:
> It might fulfil the definition of a 'normal accident'

No, it's not a normal accident in the Perrow sense. The post by Carl shows this. In a normal
accident, everything goes as planned and specified but something still screws up. If there is a
clearly identified violation that is causal then it cannot be a Perrow normal accident.

I guess there is room at the conceptual boundary, where an action that is a Rasmussen "Migration to
the Boundary" action is causal. Would this count as a normal accident?

> the limitations of the control system (no absolute determination of train position) will not have helped.

Right. Not determining positional information in a unique way is a factor in many rail accidents.
The TransRapid accident in Lathen. Glenbrook. Waterfall. Alton Towers. Of these, Alton is the least
bad, by far.