[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 18:12:07 CEST 2016

On 24/04/2016 at 4:55 PM, "Chris Hills" <safetyyork at phaedsys.com> wrote:

>Hi All
>
>As I started this (and was only expecting a couple of replies
>referring me
>to the same definition)  I thought I should chip in.

We do need to have some general agreement about certain terms. The
three main words that we should be absolutely clear on are:-

  Reliability
  Dependability
  Integrity

A couple of other terms that should also be defined are:-

  Safe
  Secure

however, I would expect the last two to be defined as part of the
requirements definition of terms.

I use the OED definitions for the most part (always one that seems
to fit the bill).

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer