[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Michael J. Pont M.Pont at SafeTTy.net
Sun Apr 24 18:36:37 CEST 2016

Roberto asks:

"Can we talk about the reliability of the components in the context
  of the overall system, without any knowledge about how they implement
  their functionality (e.g., hardware only, hardware + little bit of
  software, hardware + lots of software, hardware + software + humans)?"

If our definition of reliability is something like this (from my previous
email):

"the extent to which an experiment, test, or measuring procedure yields the
same results on repeated trials"

... then the software cannot contribute to the above discussion (because the
software doesn't change over time).

Michael.