[SystemSafety] Concerning definitions (was Re: Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?)

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 25 18:50:30 CEST 2016

On 4/25/16 12:55 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> On 2016-04-24 18:12 , paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> I use the OED definitions for the most part (always one that seems
>> to fit the bill).
> One would surely expect professional engineers to use the technical definitions of these terms
> established in his area of expertise. ...
One would surely expect professional engineers to be less cavalier in
frequently adding new definitions to common words, which change the
meanings in confusing, unhelpful ways.  But one's expectations would
sadly go unfulfilled.

I would rather trust professional lexicographers to design a
safety-critical system by themselves than professional (or academic)
engineers to write competent definitions by themselves.

--
cMh [ C. Michael Holloway | Senior Research Engineer | NASA Langley
Research Center, MS 130, Hampton VA USA | Tel: +1.757.864.1701 ]

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.