[SystemSafety] SILs and Security Levels

Maier, Thomas Thomas.Maier at ul.com
Tue Apr 26 12:08:08 CEST 2016

The standard uses "required safety integrity level", and also "required safety integrity" in its text throughout. However it is not a formally defined term.
There is no "achieved SIL", but the standard speaks about achieving the safety integrity level in its system realisation requirements.
The concept of SIL capability is not covered by a definition either. IEC 61508 does however use the concept of "compliant item", where the item is either a subsystem or element (both terms are formally defined concepts), and contains precise requirements on the information to be provided for a compliant item. The part of that information pertaining to safety integrity (in terms of fault tolerance, diagnostic coverage, failure behavior, failure rates, systematic capability) could be referred to as "SIL Capability".

Derived standards have defined terms to express the concept of SIL capability for a subsystem, as opposed to a plain SIL for a system-level safety function. IEC 62061  for example uses "SIL Claim Limit". IEC 61800-5-2 uses "SIL Capability" directly.

I would agree that most users of IEC 61508 are able to distinguish between these different SIL types or views and apply them correctly. Nevertheless it would be good if the standard introduced formal definitions. It will IMO not be difficult at all to do that, at least from a purely technical perspective.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Thomas Maier
T: +45 42 13 74 52