[SystemSafety] Safety and Cybersecurity: A Dispute

Alexander.Much at elektrobit.com Alexander.Much at elektrobit.com
Mon Dec 19 19:17:15 CET 2016

Hi Peter, *,

[...]
> So what do people here think? I have examples (e.g., my blog posts) to
> demonstrate that cybersecurity issues have to be considered essentially
> when devising safety requirements. The DKE formal guidance says that
> cybersecurity measures concerning safety functions and those concerning
> operational functionality have to be treated differently. And there is a lobby
> which says that this is "counterproductive". Can safety and cybersecurity for
> IACS effectively be separated, or are they intevitably intertwined?

Since you asked for an opinion, here's mine.

There are people who are praising the English language for having two distinct words: "safety" and "security".
Other languages / cultures don't see the need to separate these two (German: Sicherheit, French: Securité, etc.).

IMHO:
- "safety without security" is not a thing
- "security without safety" may be a thing

Alex

--
Alexander Much
Chief Expert - Head of Software Systems Engineering, Car Infrastructure

EB - Driving the Future of Software
P +49 9131 7701 6384
M +49 172 7479804
E alexander.much at elektrobit.com

Elektrobit Automotive GmbH, Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Managing Directors: Alexander Kocher, Gregor Zink; Register Court Fürth HRB 4886