[SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Sat Feb 27 06:51:02 CET 2016

I've worked with Harel state charts, because they are essentially imported
into UML. To be honest, there's a lot that I don't really like about them.
Plain, simple finite automata (basic state-event-transition-action) is
entirely sufficient for my purposes. Everything that Harel state charts
add is, IMHO, unnecessary.

As well, I found this to be an interesting paper:

M. von der Beek. A Comparision of Statechart Variants. In W.-P. de Roever
H. Langmaack and J. Vytopil, editors, Formal Techniques in Real-Time and
Fault-Tolerant Systems , number 863 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
pages 128­148. Springer Verlag, September 1994.

The article talks about something like 17 different dimensions of
ambiguity in state charts.

-- steve