[SystemSafety] Technical Terms in Standards [was: Modelling and coding guidelines....]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Feb 27 13:17:35 CET 2016

On 2016-02-27 11:45 , Michael J. Pont wrote:
> .... in ISO 26262 .... defined terms (from Part 1) are not clearly identified at
> later points in the text.
>
> In a legal contract (for example) we would usually start by defining terms such as “Dual-Point
> Failure” at the start of the document (with the initial capitals, or a different font, etc, used in
> the definition).  References to these terms that appeared later in the document would then be easily
> identified (because Dual-Point Failure, for example, would always appear in the same format).
>
> This doesn’t happen in ISO 26262 – and I think we should try to change this in the next edition.

If my experience with IEC standards is any guide, that will be hard. IEC has has some relatively
strenuous guidelines for how text appears (yes, I know, you wouldn't know it, would you?), and I
don't think such a move would conform. Any change in the guidelines would have to be across all
standards; it won't go per individual standard. I imagine ISO is similar.

Others on this list, such as Ingo Rolle, are far more familiar with this textual requirements for
IEC standards than I am. I don't think there is anyone on this list equally familiar with ISO, is there?