[SystemSafety] Floods and Electrics

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 07:27:05 CET 2016

At least in the EU you don't have to contend with the US Army Corp of Engineers efforts in flood control.

http://criticaluncertainties.com/2011/08/28/national-single-points-of-failure/#more-4805

The above example of the Mississippi old control structure illustrates one of the problems with investing in 'mega-project' flood controls. Once you have it becomes difficult to reverse the decision if it turns out you were wrong, Collingridge's dilemma again.

I'm reading a book by Tavris and Aronson called 'Mistakes were made (but not by me)' at the moment. Their central thesis is that reducing cognitive dissonance is a major driver in human behavior and that the mental gymnastics of self justification we use to achieve such minimisation go a long way to explaining how we persist in (very) bad decisions. The bigger the investment the stronger the effect of course and the less likely folk are to admit that they're wrong.

There are obvious implications for investment decisions in flood control measures (or other hazard controls) as well as why people seem to discount risks such as flood, bushfire, earthquake and landslide.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com