[SystemSafety] Functional hazard analysis, does it work?

DREW Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Wed Jan 20 08:11:33 CET 2016

Peter,
For thirty years advocates of formal methods have shown a total lack of
understanding of their inherent limitations. This has nothing to do with
"maths, that's hard" or "we don't have all the information". It is the
fundamental problem of requirements engineering that strengthening internal
validity weakens external validity. The more effort you put into creating
an analysable model of the real world, the less that model looks like the
real world and the greater the chance that the safety problems will exist
outside the analysis altogether.

Now that _isn't_ an insurmountable problem, but the rest of us have lost
patience with formal gurus who don't even admit it's a problem. If you come
to me and say, "I've got a technique that allows rapid, reliable and
intuitive modelling of systems in a way that captures those properties
important to safety", I'll say "that sounds interesting, I'd like to try
it". When you show willful ignorance of what the _problem_ is, why should I
have any reason to think that your amazing solution is any different from
the hundreds of others who have made the exact same claim you've made, only
to turn out to be wrong due to the problems you're refusing to admit are
problems?

You sound exactly like the homeopaths who protest that scientists won't
fund clinical trials of their latest preparation. Every one of them claims
that their preparation is a good one, and if people wouldn't only try it
they'd realise the benefits. They are willfully blind of the fact that the
likelihood of them being right is so low, that it isn't worth the
opportunity cost to even investigate their claims.  If you have a better
technique for hazard analysis, the burden of proof is squarely on you to
show it. Not to demonstrate narrow properties, but to show that if a
company is designing a system, they are more likely to make a better system
by using your technique. At the very least, stop being patronising to those
who demand a little more rigour than "people of our choosing applied the
technique to a problem of our choosing, and our interpretation is that the
results were great".

My safety podcast: disastercast.co.uk
My mobile (from October 6th): 0450 161 361