[SystemSafety] The Lancaster Floods in December 2015

Karuppu Samy karuppu.samy at jupitermail.in
Thu Jan 28 07:00:28 CET 2016

It is a never ending cycle of degradation....

In India, due to commercial power unreliability, every mobile tower is provided with battery backup. There is also a diesel generating set to take over and charge the batteries till commercial power is restored.

But even this arrangement failed during the recent Chennai floods! The gensets have limited fuel capacity – once the fuel is exhausted, it needs replenishment. Due to floods, the fuel stations were without power and fuel couldn’t be taken out. Even if fuel was available, transporting it to the genset could not be done, as the roads were under water. The net result – many cell towers didn’t operate and the mobile communication was patchy!

Karuppu Samy