[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ???

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 10:30:02 CEST 2016

Peter

You seem to be arguing that "test and fix" works. Let me offer the IBM
PLI-F compiler as a counterexample. It was complex and buggy. Bugs were
found and fixed but on average each fix introduced more bugs. Finally
the compiler had to be withdrawn.

If your development team introduces an error in every 100 LoC they write
(putting them in the best 1%) then when your average fix size exceeds
100 LoC things start looking bad.

I recognise that most bugs in a driverless car won't cause an accident.
But I still don't like test-and-fix as a strategy.

Martyn