[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ???

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Tue Jul 19 14:24:19 CEST 2016

More reading on the Tesla issue. It speaks for itself.

http://www.teslaosterone.com/uncategorized/teslas-fatal-crash-6-unanswered-q
uestions/

Duke University robotics professor Mary Cummings testified at a U.S. Senate
hearing in March that the self-driving car community is “woefully
deficient” in its testing programs, “at least in the dissemination of
their test plans and data.”

In particular, she said she’s concerned about the lack of “principled,
evidenced-based tests and evaluations.”
-----------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3671265/PICTURED-Ex-Navy-SEAL-died-s
elf-driving-car-crashed-truck-seen-showing-no-hands-autopilot.html

Joshua Brown, 40, was behind wheel of self-driving Tesla Model S car. He was
killed when the vehicle collided with a trailer truck in Florida in May.
Trucker claims Brown was watching a Harry Potter movie when he crashed but
Tesla says it is impossible to watch movies on its touchscreen.
My Comment: Is it really ? Refer:
http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/main/1naias-17.jpg

Elon Musk, the billionaire CEO of Tesla Motors, tweeted: 'Our condolences
for the tragic loss.' [of Joshua Brown]
My comment: is that all Brown's death rated? A tweet? I hope not.

-----------------

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1329257
Why Autonomous Cars Are ‘Absolutely Not Ready’
7 limitations in tech, tests & evaluations

The crux of the issue, according to Cummings, is twofold: There is a lack of
“principled, evidenced-based tests and evaluations” for autonomous cars,
and little leadership from federal regulators to create “a clear
certification process” for self-driving cars.

To make matters worse, little information about automakers’ test plans and
data is available today for experts to measure the performance of
self-driving cars. Put more bluntly, today’s self-driving community is
substituting demonstrations for rigorous testing, in Cummings’ opinion.

In her testimony, she laid out seven “limitations” in current self-driving
car technologies
1. Lack of evidence-based tests
2. Bad weather conditions
3. Vulnerability to malevolent or prankster intent
4. Gaming the self-driving car
(For example, “A $60 laser device can trick self-driving  cars  into
seeing  objects  that  aren’t  there,” she said.)
5. What about privacy and control of personal data?
6.  Regulatory agencies’ roles
(Cummings pointed out that “The U.S. government cannot and has not
maintained sufficient staffing in the number of people it needs who can
understand, much less manage, complex systems such as self‐driving cars.”)
7. Accumulating miles is no assurance for safety

What matters isn’t exactly the number of hours and miles the designed
system logged in in-house testing. It’s how the tests are designed, who
validates the results, whether procedures are peer-reviewed, and if a clear
certification process exists.

My comment:
My sense is that Mary Cummings' heart is in the right place but she is
missing quite a bit here (I'm assuming this is all she said, I may be
wrong).
Testing is definitely important but if you've got a hacked up system no
amount of testing will make it safe.
I would add:
1. Who wrote the system requirements and where they complete and correct as
they could be (did anyone write a requirement spec???)
2. Where the requirements validated (were they validatable?)
3. What formalisms were used to design and build these systems. What
architectural patterns were used, what formal models were used?
4. How observable was the software behaviour for the purposes of testing?
5. Is the code instrumented. How thorough is the error logging?
6. Who wrote the code? How experienced were they? How much code review
occurred? How experienced were the code reviewers?
7. What was the defect density in first-round unit, integration and system
testing?

Elon Musk is doing a great job in making artificial intelligence open. He
has donated 10,000,000 dollars to the open AI foundation. He is also opening
his Tesla designs to the public. The code is not open for very good security
reasons. So the gaming starts. Refer:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/syscan-announces-10000-prize-hacking-tesla
/
$10,000 bounty on Model S hacks entices tinkerers, aggravates Tesla

Interesting times!

Les