[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ???

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 12:01:26 CEST 2016

Richard Holway (a senior and experienced UK Tech Analyst) writes today*:

/"I’m also pretty sure that //*Elon Musk*//is one of the most
significant visionaries around today. So Musk’s ‘Master Plan, Part Deux’
for //*Tesla*//is important./

/Musk’s plans (they are not just visions…) include:/

/- fleets of driverless taxis which could include your own Tesla car
when you are not using it/

/- No new lower priced Tesla cars were planned but a Tesla SUV and
pickup truck were envisaged based on the Model 3 floorplan./

/- a bus/mini bus/

/- a variation on the lorry called a Tesla Semi./

/- a ‘smoothly integrated and beautiful solar-roof-with-battery product
just works’. This was part of his justification for the controversial
purchase by Tesla of SolarCity./

/- turning the ‘machine that makes the machine itself into a product’ ie
making the Tesla car factory into a product./

/Musk’s 'Master Plan, Part Un' for Tesla was released in 2006. It has
largely been achieved albeit both late and over budget. But that still
means you should take Musk seriously. He has shown that he can turn
dreams into reality – as anyone who has watched a Falcon9 SpaceX rocket
return to land vertically after putting a satellite into orbit will know./

/Also, for all the doomsayers, remember that if your identification of a
real market is correct, in time advances in technology and volume
production will almost certainly make it possible and affordable. Musk
talks of Part Deux by the early 2020s. History shows it will take
longer. But by the 2030s, Musk’s current dream will probably be reality.
We’ll have had Part Trois et Quatre by then too..."  [*
http://www.techmarketview.com/ offers a free subscription to their daily
newsletter - I include this advert to compensate for copying their text
above)
/

---------

As I recall, Musk's reason for developing driverless cars was to provide
the market impetus for better batteries so that the storage of renewably
generated electricity  could displace hydrocarbons and save the planet
from global warming.  That's a noble aim and if a better collision
detector helps them I'm in favour.

But I hope that the attraction of driverless cars doesn't distract
attention from solving other, more urgent causes of avoidable injury and
fatalities.

Martyn