[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ???

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Fri Jul 22 13:54:28 CEST 2016

Morning Les,

These are all on the surface reasonable ideas, however as Mencken said; "for
every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"
(sorry - couldn't help myself ;-).

1. The solutions suggested are applicable only to vehicles; what about
pedestrians, cyclists, horses, live stock, wild animals (deer or moose) or
any of the hundreds of objects that can be found on roads e.g. roadwork's,
fallen trees. To go beyond where Mercedes, BMW and Tesla are now requires
everything be detected.

2. They don't scale, or at least don't scale fast enough.
First, to be truly useful all vehicles would need to be equipped. Currently
there are 1.2 billion vehicles on the worlds roads and approximately 85
million new vehicles being added each year. Note this doesn't include road
going equipment such mobile plant or tractors.

Second the average life of a vehicle is somewhere between 10 and 20 years so
even if we started mandating one of these solutions now it would be 2026 or
so before approximately half of the world vehicles were equipped and 2040
before 100% (simple model assuming 3% of all vehicles are removed each
year).

Even if it was a simple retrofit like putting bumper stickers on the front
sides and rear of every vehicle it still need to be designed and rolled out.
If it has to be done by a mechanic paid for by the manufactures it's going
to have a minimum cost of $50 US per vehicle... so we're talking a minimum
of $50 billion... And if it's bumper sticks they had better be an exact
match to the paint on my car!

But that would be unlikely to happen as,

3. The solution would have to be legally mandated. This might be possible
Europe but in the US you would have to provide an economic case that showed
that the avoided cost in lives saved would exceed the cost of adding the
equipment to all vehicles. Three simple examples, in Europe side impact bars
on trucks, ABS and indicators a different colour to brake lights are all
required, in the US none of these are as the economic case isn't clear
enough for to allow the rule making process to move forward.

For the Tesla that implies you need agreement between the EU, USA/Canada,
China and Australia (based on locations of the supercharger networks).
Goodness know how long getting agreement would take but possibly somewhere
between 4 and 10 years?

I know this is a bit like pissing on the parade but the huge numbers, time
scales and politics involved make the problem approximate intractable fairly
well, which is why manufactures are following an approach based on what they
control.

It may be worthwhile to note that the vast majority of cars on the road
today don't need radar reflectors as they are radar reflectors, under all
that plastic they are steel (or aluminium in the case of Tesla). It gets
interesting with carbon fibre cars such as the BMW i3 but I assume they have
radar reflective material added to the mix as radar and adaptive cruise
control is so common today (you would hope that would come out of the hazard
analysis wouldn't you).

Remember in the Tesla crash the car's radar "saw" the truck (but only the
truck bed) but apparently misclassified what it was seeing... at this
juncture it appears to be a requirements or analysis problem not a senor
detection problem.

I suspect that fully autonomous cars are probably some way off, Google is
now saying 5 to 10 years, Musk says two but what he probably means is 4 to
10.

Fully autonomous vehicles can probably be classed as a "wicked" problem, in
that the problem itself isn't well defined. Tesla and other manufactures
have been able to provide a partial solution for highly constrained
conditions, i.e. motorways and highways where the complexity of the
situation is relatively  "low". Noisy urban areas (as an example) is a whole
different problem. For example do we have to detect people and classify them
as people or is it enough to classify them as things either moving or not
moving; or perhaps as thing on road, things moving towards road or things
not on road? At this point in time it may not be possible to answer that
question.

Cheers.