[SystemSafety] COTS display certification

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Wed Jul 27 08:37:18 CEST 2016

Matthew

You make a reasonable point about code / duality.

In principle, any input/output function could be implemented as a very
large lookup table. Most standard focus on getting the code right
(e.g. that the lookup code is correct). But what do standards have to
say about ensuring the data is correct? i.e. in my example, the data in
a massive look-up table? What data validation techniques are appropriate
to a given SIL?

Peter Bishop

On 27/07/2016 01:24, Matthew Squair wrote:
> I've always been a bit fuzzy about the next step though.
>
> If we decide that software will implement this function then the
> software development processes must satisfy the allocated integrity level.
>
> From a code/data duality perspective I implement a function in software
> as a mix of data and code. But I can use varying ratios of the two.
> Logically any integrity processes need to cover both the code and data
> 'parts' because it's both that are satisfying the functional requirement.
>
> But how does one argue equivalence between integrity processes for code
> and data? At the aggregate level surely you must be making that
> argument? And that such integrity is independent of potentially varying
> ratios of the two in any solution?
>
> Matthew Squair
>
> MIEAust, CPEng
> Mob: +61 488770655
> Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com <mailto:Mattsquair at gmail.com>
> Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com
>
> On 27 Jul 2016, at 3:21 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin
> <ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de <mailto:ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>> wrote:
>

>> On 2016-07-26 18:33 , jean-louis Boulanger wrote:
>>> In new OCC system, some vital information are displayed on control
>>> screen and this informations is
>>> SIL x or DAL x.
>>
>> Sorry, such a statement is a category mistake.
>>
>> In IEC 61508, safety *functions* get SILs. Information is not a
>> function, therefore information
>> cannot get a SIL.
>>
>> PBL
>>
>> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
>> MoreInCommon
>> Je suis Charlie
>> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319  www.rvs-bi.de <http://www.rvs-bi.de>

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist
Adelard LLP
Eagle House, 167 City Road, London, EC1V 1AW
http://www.adelard.com
Recep:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850
Direct: +44-(0)20-7832 5855

Registered office: Stourside Place, Station Road, Ashford, Kent TN12 1PP
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.