[SystemSafety] COTS display certification

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jul 27 10:33:22 CEST 2016

On 2016-07-27 10:02 , jean-louis Boulanger wrote:
> It's not mistake ...

Yes, it is. See below.

> IEC 61508 said some things ... CENELEC said another think and DO xxxx a different thing
> in my message I said that I work in railway ...

I have dealt with IEC 61508 already.

The notion of SIL is not present in RTCA/EUROCAE avionics safety standards. The notion is DAL and is
very different. DAL is a measure of the criticality of the element to which it is assigned.

The notion of SIL in the CENELEC railway standard EN 50128 is explicitly as follows:

[begin quote]

3.1.29
 safety function
 a function that implements a part or whole of a safety requirement

3.1.30
 safety-related software
 software which performs safety functions

3.1.37
 software safety integrity level
 classification number which determines the techniques and measures that have to be applied to
 software

 NOTE Safety-related software has been classified into five safety integrity levels, where 0 is the
 lowest and 4 the highest.

3.1.39
 system safety integrity level
 classification number which indicates the required degree of confidence that an integrated system
 comprising hardware and software will meet its specified safety requirements

[end quote]

The notion of "safety requirement" is not defined in EN 50128. However, just as in IEC 61508, safety
functions are those things which implement a safety requirement, safety-related SW is software which
performs a safety function and SW SIL is a number between 0 and 4 which software which implements a
safety function is assigned.

On 2016-07-26 18:33 , jean-louis Boulanger wrote:
> In new OCC system, some vital information are displayed on control screen and this informations is
> SIL x or DAL x.

I said this is a category mistake, and that is correct. There is in EN 50128 no notion that
information displayed on a screen acquires a SIL. SILs are assigned to SW which implements safety
functions.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon