[SystemSafety] A Request [was, and still is: Off Topic]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jun 25 19:50:18 CEST 2016

Folks,

sorry to harp on this, but I think this is the forum containing the largest number of Brits to which
I have access, and I do need your advice. Please, though, privately.

I was thinking of putting an open letter to the Queen on the AbDis blog, and to send off to the
press, and I would like private opinions on its suitability, and its reasoning.

PBL

[begin text]

Your Majesty,

Your government has proposed, and just lost, a referendum on a matter of great and lasting import to
the well-being of your subjects, as well as of great concern to Britain's friends in Europe and
around the world.

This is, on any account, a popular vote of no confidence in your government.

Since I have been alive, the way in which your government responds to clear and legitimate
demonstrations of no confidence is by resigning and calling a general election to reestablish a
government which has the confidence of Parliament and your subjects. I believe there are good
reasons for the procedure, and it is established over a far longer period than my lifetime. The
Fixed-Term Parliaments Act 2011 contains a provision for this procedure.

I do not understand why your government is not doing this. How can your government act legitimately
after it has lost the confidence of your subjects?

Your humble subject,

Peter Bernard Ladkin

[end text]

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon