[SystemSafety] Two sorts of Standards (was: Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation")

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 13:01:33 CET 2016

This thread has discussed (inter alia) two different sorts of standards:

1) System or component architectures or designs that have
well-established properties and that have become (to a greater or lesser
extent) the "standard" way of implementing a requirement.

2) Documents that prescribe (to a greater or lesser extent) the way in
which a system or component should be developed (for example, specific
methods and tools, the need for traceability, the degree of test
coverage required, the documentation  ...).

It seems to me that our industry would benefit from more of (1), but
that much greater effort goes into (2).

There are many examples of (1) in other branches of engineering, and one
way that progress is made is that standards of type (1) are improved or
replaced when a defect is discovered, and the whole industry/profession
is then able to benefit from the improvement.

Martyn