[SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Wed Mar 2 20:56:40 CET 2016

Derek,

"The code serves a useful purpose and you are upset because it
is costing you more than it should."

No, not really. I'm upset because I'm forced to pay good money and deal
with crappy software products that are all caused by the sheer, utter
incompetence of the people who wrote it. The vast majority of the defects
I have to wrestle with on a daily basis were caused by total ignorance on
the part of someone who makes an average annual salary of about $95k USD.
See my previous response to Les Chambers.

At what point are we, software consumers finally going to say, "I'm mad as
hell and I'm not going to take it any more!"???

"The issue of minimal possible code quality is something I
am analyzing for a book I am working on.  I have some analysis+
evidence that the bound is lower than where many people think it is."

Fascinating, because I argue that it's not at all difficult to write
software that friggen' works: software that does what it's intended to do,
without infinite loops and all of that BS. It's even faster and cheaper to
do so. The research I've done into contemporary software organizations
shows that on average, over 60% of their capacity to do work is wasted in
going back to fix stupid mistakes that they made earlier. We seem
incapable today of distinguishing "motion" from "progress" on software
projects. They are very different things.

Anyone can ask me for my "How Healthy is Your Software Process" paper,
I'll email a PDF as an attachment.

"There is a huge hole in the software engineering curriculum: Economics."

Totally agreed. Maybe someone should write a book on that topic? Oh, waitŠ

Cheers,

-- steve