[SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 02:02:01 CET 2016

There's a neat idea called technical debt, the more you cut the corner to
get the job done the bigger that debt gets. Unless you turn around and pay
it down that debt eventually gets transferred to the customer, the next
project stage, the maintenance guys etc etc.

More broadly I see this as a particular case of the principal/agent
problem. Of course one of the solutions to that particular problem is the
imposition of professional standards via legislation or professional
bodies.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Steve Tockey <Steve.Tockey at construx.com>
wrote:

> "That red door stopper is primarily customer oriented."
>
> Sorry, I'm missing the point of that.
>
> And, FWIW, it seems the point of my "Totally agreed. Maybe someone should
> write a book on that topic? Oh, wait . . ." quip got missed on your end:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Return-Software-Maximizing-Your-Investment/dp/0321561
> 49X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457049439&sr=1-1&keywords=return+on+sof
> tware
>

> "You seemed to have missed the point(s) of writing software.
> Or rather, are focusing on the reasons for using software."
>
> No, I don't think I have. The point of writing software can be considered
> from two levels. At one level (call it "direct"?), software is written to
> automate a solution to some presumably non-trivial problem. The other
> level (call it "indirect"?) is to make money by selling a product, which
> in this case just happens to be software.
>
> The reason for using software is primarily direct: I have a problem that
> needs to be solved and software exists that solves the problem more
> efficiently and/or effectively than some (any?) other solution.
> Indirectly, sometimes to get access to that software/solution I have to
> pay money.
>
> Microeconomics 101, right?
>

> "I think you are suffering from survivorship bias
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias"
>

> Again, no, I think not.
>

> "Code has a finite lifetime, often surprisingly short.
> I think its often cheaper to fix faults in code that survives
> than invest lots of code, much of which does not survive."
>
> Of course code has a finite lifetime. But I think it's worth asking, "what
> drives that lifetime to be what it is?" I see two drivers. One is product
> (functional) obsolescence, the world moves on and other, presumably more
> capable, software becomes available. Why use the old, limited version when
> a new all-the-bells-and-whistles product is available?
>
> The other is deterioration. Unlike hardware things that wear out because
> of use, software tends to deteriorate because downstream maintainers
> violate initial design principles, etc. It's the on-going accumulation of
> so-called technical debt. If the software starts off with a huge amount of
> technical debt from version #1, it only gets worse from there. On the
> other hand, if version #1 is very clean and downstream maintainers work to
> keep it that way, code lifetimes can be quite long.
>
> A case in point is Automated Test Equipment (ATE) for the Boeing 777 in
> Everett, WA. The version #1 project was done in 1993 for the 1994 roll out
> and eventual ongoing production. For whatever reason (Boeing culture,
> ultimately) the tradition had been that every airplane program did things
> the way they wanted. Code-wise, 737 ATE was completely different than 747
> ATE, which was completely different than 767 ATE (C code on MP/UX 9),
> which was completely different than 777 ATE (C++ on HP/UX 10) which was
> [...]

*Matthew Squair*
BEng (Mech) MSysEng
MIEAust CPEng

Mob: +61 488770655