[SystemSafety] BMW and FIAT firmware updates

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Wed Mar 9 13:14:41 CET 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: systemsafety
[mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de] On Behalf Of
Derek M Jones
and hopefully when BMW get around to complying to the GPL, we will see that
the critical stuff is suitably protected:
https://gist.github.com/duncan-bayne/fc3213d4a0eabb70bb1e

Hopefully they won't.  I would rather they break the GPL that let the source
code loose. There is enough hacking of cars as it is without making things
worse.
This highlights that perhaps that GPL code should not be used in vehicles or
critical systems?

Though BMW seem to think they don't need to release the code and I
(naively?)  assume the have checked this before they used it. .

Regards
   Chris

Phaedrus Systems Ltd
FREEphone 0808 1800 358    International +44 1827 259 546
Vat GB860621831  Co Reg #04120771
Http://www.phaedsys.com  chills at phaedsys.com