[SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

GRAZEBROOK, Alvery N alvery.grazebrook at airbus.com
Mon Mar 14 10:35:31 CET 2016

Thierry,

 - re-use of actual components such as nuts and bolts, or power transistors, which come off the same production line and the whole thing comes "as packaged"
 - design re-use, where you copy/paste design information and then put it in a new "context" on a new production line.

There are some similarities, but in the first case you are trying to gain advantage by proven characteristics actually being met, whereas in the second case you are trying to gain advantage by accepting the design process carried out by the previous group of designers. These are very different things.

Cheers,
	Alvery

** any opinions here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

From: systemsafety [mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de] On Behalf Of Coq, Thierry

The argument about trusting proven in use components has been completely disproved by the Ariane 501 flight and its consequences.
A proven-in-use component in one environment may be replete with defects that may emerge in another environment.
It also has disproved most ways of thinking probabilities of failure for software-dependent systems.

This email and its attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you have received them in error you must not use, copy or disclose their content to any person.  Please notify the sender immediately and then delete this email from your system.  This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to conduct their own security measures. Airbus Operations Limited is not liable for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this e-mail.

Airbus Operations Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, registration number, 3468788.  Registered office:  Pegasus House, Aerospace Avenue, Filton, Bristol, BS34 7PA, UK.