[SystemSafety] The Moral Math of Robots

Daniel Grivicic grivsta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:28:23 CET 2016

I thought about this same problem quite briefly yesterday.

Some current research [1]:

"people often feel a utilitarian instinct to save the lives of others and
sacrifice the car’s occupant, except when that occupant is them"

>From the safety of my lounge chair I'd pick the oak tree. There are still
unknowns (speed, conditions, etc..) but ultimately I guess I would be the
sacrifice. As noted in the reference the sales person's pitch may be
different.

My understanding that as a passenger in a vehicle you should sit behind the
driver as they generally try to avoid hurting themselves.

Are there any current standards which could be a starting point?

[1]
http://theconversation.com/of-cats-and-cliffs-the-ethical-dilemmas-of-the-driverless-car-49778

Cheers,

Daniel.