[SystemSafety] Cyber NTSB?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue May 3 20:00:03 CEST 2016

> On 3 May 2016, at 19:35, Robert Schaefer <rps at haystack.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Is the proposal for a “Cyber" NTSB hype or a real thing?

I'm not quite sure what the question is. Is Markey's proposal for a new agency? No. Is Markey's proposal for similar reporting requirements for cybersecurity violations concerning commercial aircraft as for accidents? Yes.

Markey's bill says the Administrator of the FAA has to report analysed cybersecurity attacks in a similar way to the way the NTSB reports on accidents and any other safety issues.

I hav no idea of the chances of its passing. Or, for that matter, even being read in committee.

Slate's articlew was written by someone who doesn't know the systems involved and can only say what others have said to news media and suchlike. For me, worthless.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited