[SystemSafety] Making Standards available to Standards Committees

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed May 11 07:07:30 CEST 2016

On 2016-05-11 03:26 , Les Chambers wrote:
> I intend to pursue this matter with my old electrical engineering department. If I can convince them to request a copy for the engineering library who should they communicate with?
> I am assuming your answer will be: "follow-up with standards Australia,"

Daniel came up with a satisfactory answer for Australia, I think. Thanks!

> but for the purposes of this list if you are in Europe and
> want to do the same, who would be an appropriate contact?

Reminds me of the old Kissinger comment "if I want to talk to Europe, who do I call?"

If you are in Germany, then the person would be Ingo Rolle at DKE in Frankfurt, who is on this list,
and whose (other) contact details on on the DKE WWW site and readily available via Google.
If you are in the UK, then the person would be Petar Luzajic at the BSI in Chiswick, who is also the
Secretary of IEC SC65A (GB holds this position). France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Denmark,
Sweden, Norway, and so on .... I don't know.

> I don't believe we should let this matter rest.

There is a lot of grassroots sympathy for that point of view. It is necessary to turn that sympathy
into a viable organisation which produces a product, namely a viable safety-standard document. I
believe it is possible to do that cross-platform for safety-related software. I am not so sure about
digital hardware; there is a lot of industry experience that got written between and amongst the
lines of IEC 61508 Part 2.

For software, I have a couple of documents one can start from. Those documents will be used in an
IEC effort to write a technical specification on use of formal techniques in software development to
assure objective properties of software, but I am happy to offer them for use in a parallel effort.
I can't speak for my coauthor, but he is here and I imagine will concur.